What doesn't get backed up/needs to be setup again after an iTunes backup & restore?

iTunes does a good job of backing up and restoring all your iPhone data, settings and purchases. It backs up everything that couldn't be downloaded again. There are two ways you could backup your data using iTunes:

  1. Transfer purchases to iTunes - This is a very crucial setting that can affect a lot of things. If you don't want to login into each of your apps again after the restore, make sure you say yes to this question (this question will popup as soon as you start your backup process). Saying yes will encrypt your backup with a password. This is where things get tricky. I must have chosen a password the first time I backed up my phone and when I chose to back my phone up again after an year with the transfer purchase option, iTunes somehow did not ask me for a password (it may have remembered my old password). While doing a restore, when I selected that backup, it started demanding the password from me. I had erased all my data and settings from my phone after backing it up so it was kind of scary for me since I did not remember the password and without that password, even Apple cannot unlock your backup. Fortunately, after trying out my usual passwords, one of them clicked and I was able to restore successfully. Thank god for that! Coming back to the question of what won't be backed up even if you transfer your purchases to iTunes:
    • Apple Pay needs to be setup again.
    • Hey Siri needs to be setup again.
    • Microphone, camera/photo & address book access needs to be given again to apps that need it.
  2. Don't transfer purchases to iTunes - This is when you'd need to login into each of your apps again. Here is additionally what will need to be setup again:
    • Apple Pay needs to be setup again.
    • Hey Siri needs to be setup again.
    • Microphone, camera/photo & address book access needs to be given again to apps that need it.
    • Whatsapp web gets signed out and you'd have to scan the QR code again.
    • Email accounts need to be signed in again.
    • Bluetooth devices would be lost and will need to be paired up again.
    • Favorite wifi networks would be lost and will need to be setup again.
    • Apple watch needs to be paired again.
    • Home accessories need to be setup again.
    • Web browsing history will be lost.
    • Health data will be lost.

Moral of the story is: Remember your password and select the transfer purchases option! In case you think there is no way you could remember the password, reset it before taking a backup. If you have all the time in the world, do not transfer purchases and spend quality time setting up your iPhone again!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Applying for an Indian passport at BLS International USA - in lieu of a damaged one

How to put other country maps (India in my case) for FREE on a Garmin nuvi 40LM GPS that was purchased in USA

How to apply for a Schengen visa in the US