How to apply for a UK visitor visa from USA (Chicago)

Just wanted to share my experience about applying for a UK standard visitor visa from Chicago. This post does not start with the usual stuff every other website has (check if you're eligible for a visa on arrival, check if you even need a visa etc etc). It is just an 'express' post that just answers some basic questions. If you're a non-resident salaried employee in the US and you'd like to travel to the United Kingdom as a tourist (or to visit a friend) with you yourself funding your visit, this post is for you.

There are 4 steps to follow:

  1. Complete your application online - Fill a separate application for each of your family members. As part of the application itself, it'll take your payment and schedule your biometric appointment with a USCIS Application Support Center. (Edit 1/23/20: Some readers have commented that these days they also require you to upload soft copies of your supporting documents on the VFS site after filling up this application).
  2. Get your biometrics done at ASC on the day of your appointment - They will stamp your biometric appointment page. They ask to bring all documents but only check passport and biometric confirmation page.
  3. Mail all your documents (including the stamped page above and a return label) to VFS Services @ New York - They insist on purchasing their own services but you could mail your documents using any courier service with tracking. For the return label though, make sure you only use UPS (2nd Day Air or 1st Day Air - they don't accept Ground). They return you all the documents you submitted (not guaranteed though) so the return package weight will be about the same you sent them.
  4. Wait for your passport in mail (with or without) UK tourist visa - You cannot track your application online. You can either call or email them - both of which are chargeable. Since I knew my UPS return tracking number, I just signed up for alerts @ UPS website.
Documents required (no originals other than passport expected):
  1. Passport with your valid US visa sticker - to show you're legally residing within the States.
  2. Cover Letter - It is not mandatory but if you think it helps your case or you have anything you could not specify in your application, it is a good idea to write a cover letter that explains the visa officer why you need this visa, how do you plan to support yourself on this trip and why you'd come back once the trip is over. This is particularly helpful as you won't be attending any visa interview.
  3. Letter of invitation from your friend - If you're going to visit your friend in UK, ask him/her to email you a signed invitation letter, his/her passport or a driving license copy and rent agreement for his/her place. These proofs are not mandatory but they will help your case by proving the person exists and resides in UK.
  4. NOC letter from employer - stating your name, designation, employment start date, location and salary. It should also say that your leaves are approved, your company has no objection that you visit the UK between x and y dates and that you are expected to report to work on y+1 date. This is a very important piece of document IMO.
  5. Payslips - for the past 6 months.
  6. Bank statement - for the past 6 months. It should show the amount your payslips are showing getting deposited every month. It should not show any large sudden transactions - those imply you've just borrowed money for this visit and it is not your own.
  7. Rent agreement - showing where you live in the US.
  8. Any property deed/registration documents - showing you own a property outside UK. This will help prove your intention to return.
They don't need your flight bookings, hotel bookings or travel insurance while applying for visa - unlike Schengen visa requirements (which I've captured here).

My timelines: Documents delivered to VFS New York on 1st August. Passport (with visa) in my hand on 14th August. Good luck to all of you!

Comments

  1. Hi Vivek, thank you for this detailed blog. It really helped me. I have a few questions though
    1) I have booked an appointment for Jan 13th and I was trying to upload documents online. Is it really necessary to upload documents online also if we anyway send hardcopy by post?
    2) Is it mandatory to have the invitation letter from a friend? As I don't have anyone there
    3) Is it mandatory to send hotel, flight reservations if I dont have friend invite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I don't remember uploading anything online. Is the online form asking you to upload something? You're not applying through a third party, right?
      2. Not mandatory.
      3. Not mandatory, just the NOC letter should be good enough. You need to prove to them you will return. Again, this is only based off of my one time experience.

      Delete
    2. I first filled out an application on the gov.uk site. Later it redirected me to vfs global third party site and asked me to acan and upload documents there. They have an option there to take their assistance to scan my documents for a fee of $95 or do it on my own.

      Delete
  2. Hello, another qq.. Is our US driver's licence valid in the UK? Can I rent cars there? Appreciate your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I am also living in USA currently. While filling the application ,there's a question about what countries we have visited in the last 10 years. USA is one of the options there. Should I select "Yes" there and then mention all the times I have come in and gone out of the country? or should I just select No because I live in the USA?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you live in USA then USA doesn't count in visits.

      Delete
    2. even though I am on temporary visa? Student first and now H1B.

      Delete
  4. Hi I completed my biometric and now need to send all the docs to NY office. My question is do we need to send all the copies in the mail again even when we have already uploaded everything online? Also, the checklist is for our own use I believe and not to be sent along with the passport right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Vivek,
    I understand return label should have my home address in "To". But should it also have a "from" address? If yes, is it the same NY address again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be sending in my documents today and your reply would really help. Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this blog Vivek. I followed the same list of documents as you and got my visa today. Biometrics on 13 jan, docs received in New York on 25th jan and got stamped visa on 23rd jan. Note: we have to upload the documents online and the send hardcopy as well these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: documents received on 15th jan

      Delete
    2. Glad I could help and thanks for making me aware about the change in process! Have a great vacation, let me know if you have any questions about the trip!

      Delete
  8. I have a question : My wife planning to visit UK for some family get together. Since she is on H4 she doesn't work in USA. Am only sponsoring to her trip.
    So here the problem is as part of evidence of funds, if i submit my pay slips and bank statements will that work ? (because pay slips, bank statements on top of my name only)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Singh, I have very last minute question!

    Today afternoon, I will have an biometrics appointment at USCIS. I have last minute question: My USA student F-1 Visa is on old passport and I am requesting UK Visitor Visa for another fresh passport. I have uploaded all necessary copies online (including US Visa and legal status)... but not sure if I have to send my old passport that has F-1 Visa? I am currently thinking of sending only valid new passport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AB,

      I am not an expert at this situation but I would think you just need to send the new passport. You can try giving them a call and ask to confirm. Good luck for your biometrics.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Applying for an Indian passport at BLS International USA - in lieu of a damaged one

How to put other country maps (India in my case) for FREE on a Garmin nuvi 40LM GPS that was purchased in USA

How to apply for a Schengen visa in the US